NOBULL, CrossFit Ink Three-Year Games Title Sponsor, Apparel, Footwear Deal
After months-long speculation as to who would be the new title sponsor of the CrossFit Games, CrossFit announced today a three-year minimum deal with NOBULL to be not only title sponsor of the Games but Official Footwear and Apparel Sponsor of CrossFit. The Boston-based upstart founded by two former Reebok employees replaces their former employer who wrapped up a 10-year exclusive partnership back in December.
One big thing: A source who spoke candidly about the deal’s specifics but wasn’t authorized to speak on the record said that the amount of the prize purse was an important factor to NOBULL.
- CrossFit confirmed the 2021 Games will offer the largest prize purse in history.
- Though no specifics have been released as to the total amount NOBULL paid, a source familiar with the negotiations said it was an eight-figure deal over three years.
The state of play: The CrossFit Games prize purse and athletes’ season-wide earning potential have remained an important point of discussion for expanding the sport and offering more opportunities for world-class CrossFit athletes to make a living in CrossFit. No details are yet available for the individual breakdown yet.
- Even though last season was cut short due to COVID-19, the second-highest male wage earner and third-highest female drew a vast majority of their salary from Sanctionals, not the CrossFit Games.
- From 2018 through 2020, the prize purse distribution across all divisions remained mostly intact, with no changes to the total amount distributed.
- The prize purse for the winner of the CrossFit Games has remained the same since 2018, when it was increased from $275,000 to $300,000.
- In 2020, first through third took home $300,000, $115,000 and $75,000 respectively.
The big picture: The footwear and apparel deal will grant NOBULL exclusive rights to use the CrossFit trademark to produce apparel and shoes. Specifically, this means they’ll be the only company allowed to put their CrossFit mark on apparel and footwear
- At the time of launch, NOBULL had a limited set of officially branded shirts and tanks for both men and women.
What they’re saying: “NOBULL is the premier shoe and apparel brand to emerge from the CrossFit ecosystem, which has inspired thousands of entrepreneurial ventures around the world. My friends Marcus and Michael started NOBULL based on their passion for CrossFit and with the goal of creating shoes and apparel for the most demanding workouts. Put simply, CrossFit runs deep in NOBULL’s blood and culture,” said Eric Roza, CEO of CrossFit, LLC.
- NOBULL: “NOBULL was born in the CrossFit community. Since the beginning, this community has opened its doors to us, inspired us, and believed in us. We’ve experienced the highs and lows together, and we approach this next chapter with incredible energy and excitement.”
- Tia-Clair Toomey: “I am so excited that NOBULL is the title sponsor of the CrossFit Games. Not only does it give me confidence that this is the beginning of something GREAT, but it also gives me reassurance that the sport I dedicated so much of my life to is going to provide more opportunities to the younger generation.”