Quarterfinal Video Review Concludes Today, Invites Out Next But Selection Process Unknown
CrossFit staff will conclude the Quarterfinal review process today according to the official CrossFit Games rulebook, the final step before Semifinal invitations are emailed out.
One big thing: For athletes in North America and Europe, it’s still unclear how athletes will be seeded and whether athletes’ preferences will be taken into account. The rulebook doesn’t outline specifics and a request for clarification sent to CrossFit wasn’t responded to by publication.
- During a March athlete briefing, CrossFit officials were vague on the topic outlining three potential scenarios. North American and European Semifinal organizers couldn’t offer any more insight or direction as to how it’ll play out.
- Neither could one CrossFit Games athlete, who is also a member of the Professional Fitness Athletes Association.
Who advances to Semifinals? While the status of each semifinal event is still in flux, there are currently 10 scheduled semifinals, one last-chance online qualifier and the potential of another catch-all online event for athletes unable to travel to in-person competitions (think New Zealanders to Torian in Australia or Sam Briggs to Europe). The qualification cut off is as follows for each continent:
- North America: Top 120 advance to one of four events.
- Europe: Top 60 advance to one of two events.
- Oceania, Asia, Africa and South America: Top 30 advance to one event per continent.