Two Age Group Athletes Test Positive for PEDs
Two age group athletes who competed at the 2021 CrossFit Games, revealed on Instagram they tested positive for banned substances. The two athletes who tested positive didn’t reveal the banned substance they tested positive for but both will face anywhere from a two-to-four year suspension from competition and their 2021 scores disqualified.
- Nick Bloch placed 5th in the Men’s 35-39 division.
- Stephanie Roy placed 4th in the Women’s 40-44 division.
What they’re saying: In short, both athletes denied knowingly taking a banned substance but took responsibility for what was put in their body. Both said they plan to appeal and test their supplements.
- Bloch: “…I would never knowingly take a supplement that could jeopardize my competition eligibility. I live to compete. I’ve started the appeal process and will have my B sample tested along with submitting all known supplements/medications. I take responsibility for anything I put in my body and regardless if a supplement, pre-workout, medication, etc contained a banned substance, its my job to be aware of that.” (Full statement)
- Roy: “I have failed a drug test and I have no idea how it can be. Me .. the girl who has been tested multiples times in her career, the girl who worked for the Canadian ethic agency in the sport, conducting drug test myself to other athletes…See, I never took this substance or anything else…I am not asking anybody to believe me. I own the truth.I will always walk with my head up in any gym, I will continue to train no matters the end of this case. I will compete again.” (Full statement)
The big picture: This brings the season tally to six total athletes who tested positive during in-competition testing.
- Larissa Cunha, individual athlete, tested positive for Ostarine.
- Deshawn Smith, a team athlete, tested positive for Endurobol.
- Katie Christian, a team athlete, tested positive for Dehydroepiandrosterone (DHEA).
- Ray Fleser, a team athlete, tested positive for Ibutamoren.
Get the Newsletter
For a daily digest of all things CrossFit. Community, Competitions, Athletes, Tips, Recipes, Deals and more.
"*" indicates required fields