US Space Force Member Gabby McClelland Leads 2022 Syndicate Crown After Day 1
Gabby McClelland has never competed at a Semifinals event before. Nor has she competed at a Sanctional competition. Or a Regional competition. Yet the 24-year-old is leading the entire Syndicate Crown field after the first two events in Knoxville, TN.
- Prior to the event, McClelland said she was just excited to see “all of the training I have put in…come to fruition,” adding that she feels “blessed and lucky to have the workout that we have.”
The details: McClelland heads into Day 2 with two third place finishes, after lifting 235 pounds on the barbell complex and finishing Event 2 in 11:30.45.
A Bit About McClelland: McClelland qualified to Semifinals after placing 106th at the North American Quarterfinals, besting her 170th Quarterfinal finish from last season.
- She was also second in the Military Service Member division in last year’s Occupational Games.
- McClelland is also a 2020 graduate of the US Air Force Academy and is an officer—1st Lieutenant—in the US Space Force.
Worth noting: After Day 1, arguably none of the five top contenders in Tennessee are currently sitting in the top three.
- Haley Adams, who unsurprisingly had a hard time with the barbell complex and placed 23rd, currently sits in 11th overall, with 2021 Games rookie Arielle Loewen just ahead of her in 10th.
- Three other Games veterans, Paige Semenza, Kristine Best and Kristi Eramo O’Connell sit in sixth, eighth and 19th respectively.
- Finally, two other contenders, Christine Kolenbrander and Alexis Raptis, both of whom missed out on Games qualification at Semifinals last year, are sitting prettier in third and fifth respectively.
The bottom line: Saturday is traditionally considered Moving Day, and when you look at the Day 1 leaderboard in Knoxville, it’s hard to believe it won’t look completely different after two more events. Or as the saying goes, it’s still anyone’s game.
Get the Newsletter
For a daily digest of all things CrossFit. Community, Competitions, Athletes, Tips, Recipes, Deals and more.
"*" indicates required fields