Andre Houdet and Kristof Horvath Surge on Day 2 of Strength in Depth
Strength in Depth continued on Saturday with another two tests of fitness for the elite individual men. Two athletes – Andre Houdet and Kristof Horvath – used the opportunity to surge up the leaderboard and make some serious noise on Moving Day.
The details: The two CrossFit competitors entered the second day in need of strong performances to put themselves in position for a ticket to the 2022 NOBULL CrossFit Games. They were both below the cutline, and they had to chase down points leader Willy Georges.
- The two men kicked off the day with standout performances. They both completed the Carol Complex with 330 pounds. This put them in a tie for the event win, just ahead of Willy Georges at 324 pounds.
- Houdet then capped off his day by finishing second in Curiosity Shop with a time of 11:56.71. Alex Kotoulas took the top spot with a blistering time of 11:29.78.
- Horvath turned in a similar performance. He finished fifth overall in the event with a time of 13:01.08 and locked up another 84 points.
Houdet currently sits in a better spot with one day remaining in the Semifinals event. He is fifth overall in the points standings with 302. He holds the final spot above the cutline, putting him on the cusp of his second consecutive appearance at the CrossFit Games.
Horvath, for comparison, still has some work to do. He is 12th overall with 246 points after four events. He is 56 points below the cutline heading toward the final day of Strength in Depth, which is the final hurdle standing between him and his first appearance at the CrossFit Games.
One more chance: The CrossFit Games hopefuls have completed two days of competition, and they have one more chance to finish the weekend above the cutline. There are two more workouts remaining that will test their skills in a variety of ways.
- The first workout, Twist, is actually a throwback to the 2014 Regionals, and it has turned heads at other Semifinals. The athletes will have to complete 10 rounds of one legless rope climb and a 170-foot run.
- The final event is Hard Times. This test consists of 21-15-9 of calories on the Echo Bike, bar facing burpees, and thrusters (61/43 kilograms). It will be the event that creates exciting races to the finish line as the athletes enter the pain cave and go all out.