2023 CrossFit Games Team Quarterfinals: Eligibility, Important Dates, and Advancing to Semifinals
The 2023 CrossFit Games season is well underway, and it’s not slowing down anytime soon. As the Individual leaderboards are finalized, the Team and Age-Group Quarterfinals are about to begin. We have scoured the CrossFit Games website and 2023 CrossFit Games Rulebook to bring Morning Chalk Up readers this comprehensive guide to all things Team Quarterfinals.
Note: This is strictly a resource, any questions regarding invitations, eligibility, or otherwise should be sent to [email protected].
In this article:
- Roster Requirements
- Important Dates
- Team Checklist
- Video Submission
- How it Works
- Advancing to Semifinals
How are Open scores determined for teams?
Prior to the CrossFit Open 23.1 deadline (February 20, 2023), any number of individual athletes could be added to an affiliate’s team roster.
Team scores are determined by adding together the top two men’s and top two women’s performances in the prescribed version of each Open test from the team’s Open roster. This is why you will see individual athletes contributing to the team score, even if they do not plan to advance any further in the season on that particular team.
New this year, there is no residency requirement for team eligibility, athletes were only required to complete each Open test at the team affiliate. Affiliate location determines the team’s competition region.
Which teams advance to Quarterfinals?
After the CrossFit Open, the top 25% of teams (or at least 50) in each region are eligible to compete in online Team Quarterfinals. That top 25% is “based on the number of athletes registered per continent as of the close of 23.1.” (Rulebook Section 2.01)
|Top 25% Cutline
|North America East
|North America West
Who can compete on a Team in Quarterfinals?
New this year, each team’s official competition roster is determined at the time of Quarterfinals registration. Team managers must select a minimum of two men and two women, and a maximum of three men and three women (two optional alternates) to be eligible for the remainder of the season.
Requirements for all athletes on the Competition Team:
- Added to team’s Open roster before the close of 23.1
- Submitted a score for all Open tests
- Completed all Open tests at the team affiliate
It’s worth noting: Athletes competing in Individual or Age-Group Quarterfinals are also eligible to be one of these designated team members, but cannot compete in both Individual and Team Semifinals.
At each phase of competition, the same two men and two women that begin the competition must complete it. Alternates cannot be used for any reason (including injury) for the remainder of Quarterfinals once a team has completed their first test.
Important Dates for 2023 CrossFit Games Team Quarterfinals
|Monday, March 20 at noon PT
|Thursday, March 30 at noon PT
|Floor Plans Released
|Monday, March 27
|Wednesday, March 29
|Workouts 1 and 2 Due
|Wednesday, March 29 at noon PT
|Thursday, March 30 at noon PT
|Workouts 3 and 4 Due
|Thursday, March 30 at noon PT
|Friday, March 31 at noon PT
|Monday, April 10 at 5pm PT
|Semifinal Invitation and Acceptance
|Wednesday, April 12
|Friday, April 14 at 5pm PT
Teams are encouraged to submit workout scores as far ahead of the deadline as possible, as video uploads may take several hours.
Unofficial scores are revealed on the Team Quarterfinals leaderboard one hour after the submission deadline; all scores remain unofficial until the leaderboard is finalized.
Team Quarterfinals: Must-Haves
- $100 Registration
- Invitation Email from CrossFit
- Competition Team with 4-6 Eligible Athletes
- Registered Judge (Passed 2023 Judges Course)
- Valid Video Submissions
One big thing: Team Quarterfinals workouts do not need to be completed at the team’s affiliate to be valid. Per the 2023 CrossFit Games Rulebook, section 2.06 “The only requirement is that teams must complete the tests together.”
The top 40-50 teams, depending on competition region, must provide video of their performances.
Any team unable to provide a valid video upon request will have the score removed from the leaderboard.
See 2023 CrossFit Games Rulebook section 2.08 for details.
How does it work?
- Prepare: Teams should have a registered judge, designated Competition Team members, all necessary equipment, floor space, and video requirements ready before Thursday.
- Work: Once a team has registered, they will be able to submit a score and video for each workout during the corresponding submission windows. Workouts can be completed in any order as long as the specified deadlines are met.
- Submit: Two workouts are due every 24 hours starting Thursday, March 29 through Saturday, March 31. There are no exceptions for late submissions.
There are no cash prizes in the Quarterfinal stage of competition.
Advancing to Semifinals
Once the Quarterfinals leaderboard is finalized, the top teams in each region will be invited to compete in one of seven Semifinal competitions hosted across the globe. Invitations will be sent by Wednesday, April 12, 2023.
The Top 40 Teams in the following regions will receive a Semifinals invitation:
- North America East
- North America West
And the Top 20 Teams will be invited from the regions below:
- South America
Teams must accept their semifinal invitation by Friday, April 14th at 5pm PT.
- In the event of a team’s decline, CrossFit does not guarantee that Team Semifinals will be backfilled.
- However, “If a significant number of invited teams choose not to compete, CrossFit may, at its sole discretion, invite additional teams based on the order of their finish during the Quarterfinals (Rulebook section 4.05).”
Each Semifinal event will host teams and individual competitors. Athletes that qualify in both divisions must select one to compete in for Semifinals.
- Age-Group athletes that are also on the Competition Team roster may compete in both the Age Group Online Semifinals, and the in-person Team Semifinals. (Rulebook section 3.08)
- Note: It is possible for an athlete listed on a team’s Competition Roster to compete in an individual Semifinal, then compete on the team at the CrossFit Games (if qualified).
Any questions regarding invitations, eligibility, or otherwise should be sent to [email protected].