Last week, when NOBULL announced they’d stolen one of Reebok’s star athletes — Katrin Davidsdottir — from their lineup and it couldn’t have come at a worse time: the announcement came the day before Reebok was set to launch the Nano 9.0, their first update in nearly a year and five months.
Since the announcement, rumors have been circulating that Reebok would lose another headliner — Tia-Clair Toomey. Yesterday, Reebok confirmed that Toomey has left.
- Reebok in a statement to Morning Chalk Up: “Tia is no longer under contract with Reebok. We were unable to reach agreement on terms of a new contract. We wish her the very best in the future.”
- “We are fortunate to have some amazing CrossFit athletes on our roster such as Annie Thorisdottir, Camille Leblanc-Bazinet, Rich Froning and Patrick Vellner, among others. And, we’re always looking to partner with athletes who fit with the Reebok brand.”
What’s at stake: Davidsdottir and now Toomey’s departure is just another major blow to the brandwho once dominated the upper rungs of the sport of CrossFit. Reebok’s contract as marquee sponsor only lasts through the 2020 CrossFit Games, and in the past few years ceded a lot of ground to Nike and upstart NOBULL.
What we’re hearing: Tia-Clair Toomey is also moving to NOBULL, though NOBULL declined to comment.
- For what it’s worth: A week ago, she was pictured wearing a pair of NOBULL’s knit runners.
The impact on the podium. If Tia is added to the exodus roster, here’s what the 2018 CrossFit Games podium would look like today:
- Men: 1). Mathew Fraser (Nike), 2). Patrick Vellner (Reebok), and 3). Lukas Hogberg (Nike).
- Women: 1). Tia-Clair Toomey (NOBULL), 2). Laura Horvath (Nike), and 3). Katrin Davidsdottir (NOBULL).
Flashback to 2014:
- Men: 1). Rich Froning (Reebok), 2). Mathew Fraser* (Nike), and 3). Jason Khalipa (Reebok).
- Women: 1). Camille Leblanc-Bazinet (Reebok), 2). Annie Thorisdottir (Reebok), and 3). Julie Foucher (Reebok).
*Unsigned at the time.
With CrossFit’s recent rule reversal that required athletes to only wear Reeboks at the Games, the fight for the podium is a fight to showcase your product on the biggest stage in our sport.
Big name athletes with podium potential by brand:
- Nike: Mathew Fraser, Lukas Hogberg, Cole Sager, Jacob Heppner, Travis Mayer, Noah Ohlsen, Willy Georges, Sara Sigmundsdottir, Laura Horvath, and Thuri Helgadottir.
- Reebok: Patrick Vellner, Brent Fikowski, Alex Vigneault, Lukas Esslinger, Annie Thorisdottir, Maddie Sturt, Samantha Briggs, and Kristin Holte.
- NOBULL: Katrin Davidsdottir, Tia-Clair Toomey* and Brooke Wells.
- Under Armour: James Newbury and Anna Fragkou.
- INOV-8: Dani Speegle
Get The Newsletter
For a daily Digest of all things CrossFit. Community, Athletes, Tips, Recipes, Deals and more.