Last month we brought you news of the Australian CrossFit Championship’s (ACC), plan to use ticket revenue from its 2020 event to sponsor gym memberships for Type 2 diabetics.
The initiative has gained the support of CrossFit Inc., who today announced it’ll match the ACC dollar-for-dollar. Now, two individuals will receive a three-month membership at an Australian affiliate for every 100 tickets sold.
- In its press release, CrossFit Inc. wrote: “As recognized by the ACC’s leadership, the mutual relationship between individuals and their local CrossFit affiliate is the locus of transformation for millions of lives around the world … ACC’s investment in the Australian community thus exemplifies the local spirit of the Sanctionals.”
- Event organizers took to Facebook to praise CrossFit’s contribution: “We are SO pumped that CrossFit HQ has jumped on board in support of our recent #acc20 diabetes initiative” and encouraged more people to nominate deserving recipients.
- In announcing the initiative, Event Director, Darren Coughlan, said the focus of the event remains to highlight the core values of CrossFit: “We know the real work is done in CrossFit Affiliates all over Australia for the other 51 weeks of the year, for no accolades.”
While health might be the focus, the event’s still likely to put on a good show with James Newbury, Khan Porter and Jessica Coughlan already on the roster. Team Mayhem Independence will also travel to Australia in an attempt to punch their ticket, after missing out on a qualifying spot in 2019.
The Morning Chalk Up will be in attendance at the Australian CrossFit Championship as part of our media partnership with the event. We will be providing recaps, analysis, videos and exclusive access.
There’s still time to nominate a recipient, who could receive three months of free membership to an Australian-based CrossFit affiliate. The sponsorship also includes free nutrition support with follow-up consultations to be provided by GCS Training — one of ACC’s title sponsors.
- Ask your affiliate to notify ACC by emailing [email protected] with the following details: The affiliate’s name, location, contact details and social media handles. Include the following information about the nominee: contact details, social media accounts and other information believed to be relevant.
- Nominees will be reviewed on March 15. The winners will be notified shortly after.
Get The Newsletter
For a daily Digest of all things CrossFit. Community, Athletes, Tips, Recipes, Deals and more.