The Titan Games East Regional Starts, Kareem Brinson Debuts
On NBC’s The Titan Games, the East Region kicked off competition to crown its Titan on Monday evening. CrossFit coach and DJ Kareem Brinson was center stage in the competition as he represented his home state of New Jersey with a chance to face Dwayne “the Rock” Johnson’s hand-picked Titan, five-time UFC champion Tyron Woodley on Mount Olympus.
Event 1, “Nuts and Bolts:” Brinson would face high school teacher and basketball coach William Sutton for that chance to claim Titan status on Mount Olympus starting with “Nuts and Bolts” in the opener of the best-of-three eliminator.
- Sutton got off to a fast start and held a slight lead over Brinson as he was able to clear the top-row of weights on his wall. He then elected to take a shot of lowering his wall with over 1,000 lbs still attached. That strategy proved costly as he underestimated how heavy the wall remained, barely budging it on his attempt. Meanwhile, Brinson kept working on shedding weights from the wall. Brinson made his move and easily pulled it down, then pulled the lever for the event win. Brinson – 1, Sutton – 0.
Event 2, “Lunar Impact:” Brinson had the advantage heading into the fan-favorite event, “Lunar Impact.” Sutton needed a win to keep his Titan dreams alive.
- Brinson stumbled on the ladder from the start while his counterpart made it up onto the elevated platform and built up a full head of steam as he attacked the wall and had all the momentum. Brinson was greeted by the wall and had little chance against Sutton. The school teacher easily pushed Brinson off the platform with a resounding win in record time. Brinson – 1, Sutton – 1.
Event 3, “Herculean Pull:” Mount Olympus awaited for either Brinson and Sutton as they stood tied at one event apiece. Whoever won the third event would take on Woodley for the chance of representing the East Region in the Finals.
- Brinson had the early advantage as he removed his first two poles before Sutton. He would have first shot at gaining an advantage on the pull of the “Golden Pole” but couldn’t get his footing on the pyramid and slipped. That was all that Sutton needed as he quickly caught up and gained the lead. He went on the offensive while Brinson had more difficulties on his side. He would fall from the pole giving Sutton the victory, ending Brinson’s Titan Games journey. Sutton – 2, Brinson – 1.
What’s next: Sutton would go on to upset Woodley on Mount Olympus to claim East Region Titan honors.
- On the women’s side of the East Region, Army registered nurse Haley Johnson defeated Monster Truck Driver Cynthia Gauthier before dominating the Rock’s Titan, Olympic Gold Medalist Snowboarder Hannah Teter on Mount Olympus to become the East Region Titan.
- The Titan Games broadcasts every Monday at 8:00 EST on NBC.