CrossFit Games Event 2 Revealed. Day 1 Shaping Up
The CrossFit Games revealed the complete details for Event 2 of the CrossFit Games stage 2, which begins next Friday, October 23. This is the fourth workout released for day 1, but the only event we have a complete picture of.
- For Time:
- 320m hill sprint with a corn sack (50/30 lbs or 22.6/13.6kg)
- Time Cap: 8 Minute
Some quick observations: Event 2 is an RX+ version of the 2009 CrossFit Games sandbag sprint, which was a 170m hill sprint at 70/35 pounds.
- The weight is lighter for the men, but the distance is almost twice as long.
- The elevation gain in 2009: “There was about 100′ elevation gain between the starting and finishing lines, with most of that coming in the final 40m,” according to a 2009 CrossFit Games post.
- Watch the 2009 Games Sandbag Sprint.
One very big thing: With an 8-minute time cap and only 324 meters to travel, an athlete would only have to crawl at 1.5 MPH/2.4 KPH to reach the finish line under the time cap; that’s absurdly slow which means the elevation and terrain must be very challenging.
- In 2009, the fastest male was Sveinbjorn Sveinbjornsson who finished in 1:01.0; the fastest female was Annie Thorisdottir in 1:07.4. The slowest athletes for men and women were 1:41 and 2:41, respectively.
- We know Castro has had athletes at the Ranch testing workouts, so with an 8-minute time cap this one should hurt.
Well worth noting that Kristi Eramo O’Connell finished this in about 3:34 in the test. Andrea Nisler, who tested the event alongside O’Connell was far behind from the start.
- Friday, 10/23: 8:00 – 9:30 AM PT
- Friday, 10/23: 11:30 AM – 1:00 PM PT
- Friday, 10/23: 2:00 – 2:10 PM PT
- Friday, 10/23: 4:00 – 5:30 PM PT
- Saturday, 10/24: 10:00 AM – 12:00 PM PT (CBS Sports TV)
- Saturday, 10/24: 1:20 – 2:10 PM PT
- Saturday, 10/24: 4:00 – 4:40 PM PT
- Sunday, 10/25: 10:00 – 10:50 AM PT
- Sunday, 10/25: 12:00 – 12:30 PM PT
- Sunday, 10/25: 3:00 – 4:00 PM PT
For more resources on how to stay up to date, go here.
Get the Newsletter
For a daily digest of all things CrossFit. Community, Competitions, Athletes, Tips, Recipes, Deals and more.
"*" indicates required fields