Huge Deadlift Numbers Highlight Day One of Last Chance Qualifier
The scores for the first two workouts of the NOBULL CrossFit Games Last Chance Qualifier (LCQ) have been submitted and the unofficial leaderboard* shows some surprising names fighting for the final four coveted Games invitations. Invitations will be awarded to the top two male and female athletes.
With just two workouts remaining over the next 24 hours, every point and placing will matter as day one’s leaderboard is tightly contested in both divisions.
- All men in the top ten have a shot at fulfilling their Games dreams with just 65 points separating first and tenth place.
- The women’s point margin is even tighter with just 39 points separating the leader from tenth.
Five Takeaways from Day One of the LCQ
- Emma Tall and Roman Khrennikov lead the way. Both leaders are looking for their second trip to the Games and both were considered among the favorites in the field to contend for the final spots for the Games. The question is — can they hold on to a top-two finish? Tall has just a 12 point lead over Columbia’s Valentina Rangel and Khrennikov leads American Phil Toon by just eight points.
- International athletes dominate the top ten. An initial peek at the leaderboard displays a lot of different national flags despite North American athletes receiving the most invitations to the LCQ. On the men’s leaderboard Russia, Greece, Australia, Brazil and Spain crack the top ten. For the women, an astonishing ten different flags occupy the top ten with American Christine Kolenbrander as the only representative from North America. Europe has five athletes in the top ten.
- Pulling heavy weight. Workout 2 was a simple test, a 3-rep max deadlift. And these athletes did not disappoint. We saw some serious weight picked up and then put down three times. All but one woman lifted over 300 pounds highlighted by Spain’s Oihana Moya winning the event with a pull of 392 pounds, 16 pounds more than runner-up Madeline Sturt.
Kolenbrander attempted 400 but could only pull that weight off the ground twice and settled for third place with a lift of 382. For the men, 17 were able to pull over 500 pounds but none eclipsed 600. Greek athlete Ioannis Papadopoulos hitting 595, 20 pounds more than Toon.
- Who needs a time cap? Some eyebrows were raised when Workout 1 was announced featuring a 15 minute time cap for a relatively simple workout with light dumbbell hang snatches and 90 accumulated calories on the rower. For the men, ten athletes finished under 6:00. As expected, Khrennikov led the way with a winning time of 5:32 followed closely by American Dallin Pepper at 5:38. All but seven women finished under 8:00 with the United Kingdom’s Lucy Campbell (6:55) the only woman to finish under 7:00.
- Where are all the veterans? The popular picks to earn the Games invitations were athletes who have made it a living qualifying for the big show. Instead, many of them are on the outside looking in and will need to dig themselves out of a hole by both finishing in the top-five and having the athletes ahead of them provide some help with poor performances. Kristi Eramo O’Connell (11th), Paige Semenza (T13th), Feeroozeh Saghafi (20th), Alexis Johnson (23rd), Alethea Boon (T27th) and Stephanie Chung (T27th) fall into that category for the women, while James Newbury (16th), Cedric Lapointe (19th) and Omar Martinez (26th) are in that position for the men.
The Overall Top 10 After Day 1*
- Roman Khrennikov (172) | Emma Tall (168)
- Phil Toon (164) | Valentina Rangel (156)
- Ioannis Papadopolous (160) | Oihana Moya (152)
- Alexandre Caron (160) | Matilda Garnes (152)
- Tyler Cristophel (152) | Bailey Rogers (145)
- Khan Porter (152) | Christine Kolenbrander (138)
- Dallin Pepper (145) | Madeline Sturt (136)
- Nick Mathew (130) | Manon Angonese (133)
- Kaique Cerveny (125) | Dina Swift (132)
- Fabian Beneito (117) | Karin Freyova (129)
*Pending Final Video Review
Get the Newsletter
For a daily digest of all things CrossFit. Community, Competitions, Athletes, Tips, Recipes, Deals and more.
"*" indicates required fields