Everything You Need to Know About the 2023 CrossFit Games Age Group Quarterfinals
While phase two of CrossFit Games qualification has ended for Individual athletes, Quarterfinals week is just getting started for Team, Masters, and Teen athletes. Yesterday, we published a comprehensive guide to the Team Quarterfinals, and today, we’re sharing need-to-know information for all eighteen Age Group divisions. All information is sourced from the CrossFit Games website and 2023 CrossFit Games Rulebook directly.
Note: This is a resource based on published information by CrossFit LLC. Any questions regarding invitations, eligibility, or otherwise should be sent directly to [email protected].
In this article:
- Who Qualifies?
- Qualifying in More than One Division
- Important Dates
- Video Submission
- How it Works
- Advancing to Semifinals
Who qualifies for Age Group Quarterfinals?
After the CrossFit Open, the top 10% of athletes (or at least 200) in each age-group division are eligible to compete in online Age Group Quarterfinals. That top 10% is “based on the number of athletes registered per continent as of the close of 23.1.” (Rulebook Section 3.01)
Unlike the Individual and Team divisions, Age Group athletes compete against a global field in all phases of CrossFit Games qualification. Therefore, the top 10% is determined by division, rather than region.
|Division||Top 10% Men||Top 10% Women|
|14-15||148th (200th)||139th (200th)|
|16-17||170th (200th)||166th (200th)|
|65+||154th (200th)||134th (200th)|
Qualifying in More Than One Division
Athletes that qualify for Quarterfinals in more than one division (Individual, Team, and Age Group) are allowed to compete in any they choose, as long as registration for each division is complete prior to each deadline.
CrossFit provides this example:
- “For example, an athlete who is 37 years old and is in the top 10% of worldwide individual athletes, the top 10% for their age group, and who is part of a team that is in the top 25% could register and compete in the Individual, Age Group, and Team Quarterfinals.”
New this year, athletes that advance to Semifinals in multiple divisions are now able to compete in both the online Age Group Semifinal, and either the Team Semifinals, or Individual Semifinals.
Regardless of qualification status, athletes may only compete in one division at the CrossFit Games.
Important Dates for 2023 Age Group Quarterfinals
|Registration||Monday, March 20 at noon PT||Saturday, April 1 at noon PT|
|Floor Plans Released||Monday, March 27|
|Workouts Released||Friday, March 31|
|Workouts 1 and 2 Due||Friday, March 31 at noon PT||Saturday, April 1 at noon PT|
|Workouts 3 and 4 Due||Saturday, April 1 at noon PT||Sunday, April 2 at noon PT|
|Leaderboard Finalized||Friday, April 14 at 5pm PT|
|Semifinal Registration||Monday, April 17||Saturday, April 29 at noon PT|
Athletes are encouraged to submit workout scores as far ahead of the deadline as possible, as video uploads may take several hours.
Unofficial scores are revealed on the leaderboard one hour after the submission deadline; all scores remain unofficial until the leaderboard is finalized.
CrossFit Games Online Competition Video Submission Standards
- Film ALL competition area measurements so the distances and weights can be seen clearly.
- Use the camera placement provided in the floor plan. The camera should capture a 3⁄4 view of the athlete during all movements.
- Avoid placing the camera low to the ground. We recommend placing the camera at least 3 feet (90 cm) off the ground.
- Videos must be uncut and unedited to accurately display the performance.
- A clock or timer must be visible throughout the test.
- Do NOT use a countdown timer.
- Videos shot with a fisheye lens or similar lens may be rejected.
- Make sure lighting does not obstruct the view of the athlete, equipment, or workout area. Glare from the background or dark spaces makes it hard to review videos.
- Ensure the judge does not obstruct the view of the athlete.
Athletes are responsible for reading each Workout Description and Scorecard in entirety, which contains important details regarding equipment, floor set up, and video requirements.
For the record: As confirmed in an email from CrossFit on March 17, “All Quarterfinals eligible athletes can submit scores without video. However, video is required for athletes advancing to Semifinals or top performers in any single test.”
- The top 60 athletes in each age-group division should be prepared to provide video of all of their performances.
- If an athlete cannot provide a video upon CrossFit’s request, they will be given a zero-score.
- See 2023 CrossFit Games Rulebook section 3.06 for more details.
How does it work?
- Prepare: Athletes should have a registered judge, all necessary equipment, floor space, and video requirements ready before Friday. Athletes can use their Quarterfinals invitation email from CrossFit to register on the CrossFit Games website for $50.
- Work: Once an athlete has registered, they will be able to submit a score and video for each workout during the corresponding submission windows. Workouts can be completed in any order, as long as the specified deadlines are met.
- Submit: Two workouts are due every 24 hours starting Friday, March 31 through Sunday, April 2. There are no exceptions for late submissions.
There are no cash prizes in the Quarterfinal stage of competition.
For the 2023 season, CrossFit’s Worldwide Ranking (which determines each Semifinal’s Strength of Field) applies only to Individual Quarterfinalists.
Advancing to Semifinals
Once the Quarterfinals leaderboard is finalized, the top 30 athletes in each division will be invited to compete in the Age Group Online Semifinal. Athletes must accept their semifinal invitation by the close of the first submission window.
- “Should an athlete decline their invite, CrossFit does not intend to backfill that spot to the next athlete in line. (Rulebook, section 5.03)”
The competition format is similar to Quarterfinals, with two submission windows across two 24-hour periods.
Dates to Note for 2023 Age Group Semifinals:
- Monday, April 17: Invitations emailed
- Monday, April 24: Workouts released
- Friday, April 28 – Sunday, April 30: Competition dates
- Saturday, April 29: Athletes must accept invitation by noon PT
Any questions regarding invitations, eligibility, or otherwise should be sent directly to [email protected]
- Equipment List
- 2023 CrossFit Games Rulebook
- 2023 CrossFit Games Drug Testing Policy
- The Video Review Process and Best Practices
- Do We Need Both Quarterfinals and Semifinals?
- Reviewing the Data: Who Signs Up for Quarterfinals?
- Guide to the 2023 Individual Quarterfinals
Get the Newsletter
For a daily digest of all things CrossFit. Community, Competitions, Athletes, Tips, Recipes, Deals and more.
"*" indicates required fields