Big Lifts Go Up But Records Stand
Thursday evening in the Dubai Tennis Stadium, fans were treated to an event ready-made for highlights: the 1-rep max clean and jerk. Athletes would have three 30-second attempts to lift. The four athletes
The current clean and jerk records at a CrossFit competition:
- Men: 175kg/385 pounds currently held by Tola Morakinyo and Jake Douglas.
- Women: 117kg/257 pounds set by Bailey Rogers.
Worth noting: About 15-minutes before the event kicked off, it was announced the first place event win prize purse would bump up to $5,000 from $3,000.
What happened: The four athletes on the floor with the best possible chance were Callerina Natori, Sara Sigmundsdottir, Tola Morakinyo and Jeffrey Adler.
- Callerina Natori came the closest, cleaning 118kg/260 pounds but couldn’t complete the jerk. She ended with 112kg/246 pounds which tied her for first.
- Sara Sigmundsdottir also tied for first with a 112kg/246 pound lift. After her successful 110kg lift, she’d considered putting 115kg on the bar but decided with 112kg instead. This lift actually ties her all time PR which was set way back at the 2016 CrossFit Invitational. “I did not expect [first place]. My dream goal was top 5.”
- Tola Morakinyo took first overall with a 173kg/381 pound power clean and jerk. Sitting in a relatively safe position for first, Morakinyo said “I thought it would just be fun to try and hit it.”
Event 4 Results
- Tola Morakinyo (173kg) | Sara Sigmundsdottir (112kg)
- Jeffrey Adler (171kg) | Callerina Natori (112kg)
- Fabian Selles (161kg) | Karin Frey (111kg)
- Evan Morris (161kg) | Alessandra Pichelli (112kg)
- Bjorgvin Karl Gudmundsson (160kg) | Angonese Manon (110kg).