Two Mates, Three World Records, One Million Meters
Two “Aussie Blokes” will attempt to clock one million meters on the Concept2 Bike Erg to raise awareness and cash for mental health.
Seb Ashton and Jesse Gale-Driscoll will attempt the unprecedented distance as a pair this April at CrossFit Active in Sydney. If they make it — they’ll lay claim to three new World Records.
- World’s first 1 million meter cycle on a Concept2 BikeErg
- World’s fastest tandem 1 million meter cycle on a Concept2 BikeErg
- World’s greatest distance cycled on a Concept2 BikeErg
It’s expected the effort will take more than 36 hours to complete and there’s every possibility it could take closer to 48 hours.
- The goal is to raise $10,000 for the Black Dog Institute. All of the proceeds will go to the Australian charity dedicated to understanding, preventing and treating mental illness.
- Seb Ashton: “For us sitting on a bike for 2 days straight may be uncomfortable, but nowhere near as uncomfortable for the 1 in 5 people that suffer from mental health or for the 1 in 2 sufferers that don’t feel comfortable talking about it.”
- “We’re not cyclists in any way, just a couple of guys who want to have a go and show the world you don’t have to be a pro to do something extraordinary,” he added.
Their efforts have already attracted the support of former Games athletes Chad Mackay and Alethea Boon. The pair have raised $2,000 two months out from d-day. Their biggest difficulty between now and then might be mastering the transitions.
- “From our discussions with Concept2, to be regarded as a record the flywheel, or BikeErg, cannot stop moving, so change over will be very fast transitions,” Seb Aston added.
The boys also plan to livestream their marathon efforts (well, multiple marathons, actually). You can stay up to date or donate here.