With the world trending more and more in the direction of mandatory face masks to tackle the COVID-19 pandemic, two business owners, Dave Colina and Craig Lile, are stepping in and donating thousands of masks for coaches.
- “‘10,000 strong’ is the idea of being able to provide 10,000 masks to coaches throughout the country without any cost to the coach,” said Lile, the President of JUNK Brands.
The details: Both JUNK Brands and O2 — Colina’s natural recovery drink company — are “each setting aside tens of thousands of dollars to finance this, because we believe in the impact in investing in our community,” Lile said.
- The masks are a multi layer lifestyle mask, which provides extensive protection and comfort, Like explained. “I have been wearing one of the final prototypes for weeks now,” he added.
To receive a mask, coaches can apply online. Members can nominate coaches too.
- “It’s a simple procedure and we will ship them to their gyms for dispersion,” Lile said.
One big thing: On top of their commitment to finance 10,000 face masks, O2 has also recently introduced an ambassador program for coaches.
- “So far, we have probably had north of 1,000 people apply, and we have accepted a couple of hundred. It’s hard to keep up with the demand, but ultimately I want an O2 (ambassador) coach in every CrossFit gym across the country,” Colina said, adding that qualities they’re looking for in their ambassadors are “honesty, humility, and hustle to the fullest.”
Ambassadors receive four free cases of O2, and get a 50 percent off discount on every other purchase after that. They also receive swag and various networking opportunities.
- “In August, we sent each ambassador a bunch of O2 for them to hold an event called O2sday where they dished out ice-cold cans of O2 after their classes on a random Tuesday. It was a blast, and everyone loved it,” Colina said.
- He added: “(We) developed this program to give coaches the recognition they deserve and support them along the way.”
The big picture: Colina and Lile both believe coaches are “some of the most important and influential members of society.”
- “O2 is a team largely staffed by CrossFit Level 1 coaches, including myself. We’ve been coaches and CrossFit athletes for a long time, and we know the incredibly positive impact coaches can have on their members,” Colina said.
- Lile added: “This has not been an easy time for anyone and a lot of people lean on their coach for more than just physical advice. We wanted to make sure there was nothing standing in the way of those coaches returning to work and these are some of the most important people in their respective societies.”
Get The Newsletter
For a daily Digest of all things CrossFit. Community, Athletes, Tips, Recipes, Deals and more.
On August 27, Hurricane Laura punished the Louisiana coastline, devastating homes and businesses along the way,…