CrossFit Announces Four New Sanctioned Events, Expands Competition to Five Continents
Today, CrossFit HQ added four more sanctioned events to the 2019 CrossFit Games qualification calendar: the CrossFit French Throwdown, the CrossFit Fittest in Cape Town, the Mid Atlantic CrossFit Challenge, and Brazil CrossFit Championship.
As part of broad changes introduced to the CrossFit Games season and qualification process to globalize the Sport of Fitness, CrossFit sanctioned events have already expanded to five continents and Greg Glassman indicated that events in China, Australia, Iceland, Ohio, Miami, Del Mar, and Amsterdam were also in the works. Additionally, another competition in South America will be announced in the coming weeks.
Similar to the Dubai Fitness Championship and CrossFit Granite Games, these four new events will offer CrossFit Games qualifying spots to the top male and female athletes, and teams. Official sanctioned events are the only way for teams to qualify for the Games.
“We’re stoked to even be considered with the other events already announced, they all put on a great show,” said Luke Espe, CEO of the Mid Atlantic CrossFit Challenge. “We plan on sticking to our roots and traditions that have made us who we are over the past 8 years. We’re an event driven by this incredible CrossFit community, with divisions for every skill level. Our goal has always been the highest quality athlete experience we can provide for all divisions, and that won’t change. Now we just get to hand out a qualifying Games spot to the winners of the Elite Divisions.”
Updated 2019 CrossFit Games Season Calendar:
- October 3 – October 21, 2018: Dubai CrossFit Championship online qualifier
- December 12 – 15, 2018: Dubai CrossFit Championship (Dubai, UAE)
- End of January – Early February 2019: Mid Atlantic CrossFit Challenge online qualifier
- February 2019: CrossFit Fittest in Cape Town (Cape Town, South Africa)
- February/March 2019: The CrossFit Open
- April 2019: CrossFit French Throwdown online qualifier
- April 2019: Mid Atlantic CrossFit Challenge (Location TBD)
- May 2019: Brazil CrossFit Championship (São Paulo, Brazil)
- June 2019: CrossFit Granite Games (Location TBD)
- June 2019: CrossFit French Throwdown (Paris, France)
- August 2019: The CrossFit Games (Madison, WI)
- October 2019: The CrossFit Open for the 2020 season.
Additional Details: The Pathway to Qualification
In addition to each national champion and winner of a sanctioned event receiving an invite to the CrossFit Games, CrossFit HQ will also be selecting four at-large athletes to receive invitations. No further details have been shared at this point.