Loud & Live Sports Moves Forward, Announces 2021 Event Dates
Less than 24 hours after the CrossFit Games team announced the postponement of the Games until at least the middle of August, Loud and Live Sports — owners of five formerly sanctioned CrossFit Games events — announced in unison the dates for all five of their events slated for 2021. Only one of the five events scheduled for 2020 actually took place, after lockdown restrictions from the COVID-19 pandemic forced the postponement of the remaining four.
The L&L announcement revealed two major shifts in the scheduling of the five events when compared to their 2020 dates, most notably the moving of the flagship event Wodapalooza – which has typically operated in January or February – to the month of May. As a result, the Madrid Championship was moved up a month into April to accommodate.
- The West Coast Classic: March 12-14, 2021. One of the most anticipated events moves up a week from last year but stays in March.
- The Madrid Championship: April 17-18, 2021. The Spanish event that originally featured a team prize purse similar in size to the Games gets moved to middle-April.
- Wodapalooza: May 13-16, 2021. A three month shift for the largest event outside of the CrossFit Games, should add an elemental twist, where the average temperature will be warmer by 9℉ on average versus. Pack your sunscreen, Pat Vellner.
- The Granite Games: June 18-20, 2021. The debut of a new venue at the Minnesota Vikings facility will have to wait another year.
- The Mayan Classic: July 2021. No firm date just yet, but the Loud & Live event schedule will once again end with a trip down to Mexico
“The Wodapalooza date change was guided by logistics. With our desire to maintain our home in the iconic Bayfront Park, we were forced to be flexible,” revealed Vice President of Loud & Live Sports Dylan Malitsky
For athletes and spectators who were previously registered or purchased a ticket for one of the events in 2020 that was postponed, an email from event organizers was sent out Thursday morning detailing one of three options available to them moving forward.
- Deferment to 2021: Tickets and athlete spots can be carried over directly to the same event in 2021, and as a thank you for remaining invested in the event 5% of the money will be donated to the charity Action Against Hunger COVID Relief Fund.
- Loud & Live credit: Athletes and spectators can choose to receive credit in the amount of their registration or ticket price to any one of the five events in 2021. It’s a cool twist to accommodate athletes and spectators still keen on the action that may have a scheduling conflict with the new dates.
- Full refund: Pretty straightforward, if none of the above options work, then you can request a full refund of your money from the event by completing the form provided.
- Both the refund and credit have a deadline of July 3, 2020, otherwise, registration and funds will carry over to 2021.
The announcement comes after Loud and Live’s official split from CrossFit last week and amidst concern about the status of 2020 CrossFit Games and beyond following Wednesday’s postponement. The timing of the L&L announcement, nine months before the first event of 2021 gives the community plenty of time to plan accordingly.
- Malitsky: “The community has been asking, and we’ve wanted to answer, but wanted to do so patiently, with respect for the global situation. We held out on trying to produce events in 2020, however, this ended up being the best decision for all people: athletes, fans, volunteers, & partners.”