What to Expect Going Into CrossFit Open Week One
A brand new CrossFit Games season is about to kick off this Thursday in Santa Cruz, CA with the first live Open announcement and one, or maybe two workouts for week 1 of competition.
Format: Similar to previous years, Open workouts will be announced on Thursday evenings at 5:00 PM PT and scores will be due by Monday at 5:00 PM PT.
- Where to watch: The announcements will be live-streamed on the CrossFit Games’ YouTube channel.
What movements should I expect? To give more athletes affected by the pandemic a chance to still RX workouts, CrossFit released a paired down equipment list that still offers a lot of options for going into the pain cave.
- Tommy Marquez summarizes what he thinks are the likeliest possibilities for a repeated workout given the equipment list. (PREMIUM)
- REMINDER: Wall space (translation: handstand push-ups or wall sits if you’re Jacob Heppner) was recently added to the equipment list.
- For what it’s worth, here is every dumbbell CrossFit Open workout ever programmed.
- And since you’re here, here’s what Kay Wiese thinks an equipment-free Open could look like.
How many workouts will there be? That’s the million-dollar question right now. As Open veterans can attest, plans can change week by week depending on what CrossFit has up its sleeve. If I were a betting man, I’d pick four total workouts for the three-week competition: meaning one workout will be a two-part, separately scored event. That’s just my opinion though.
How to get involved:
- If you’re registered for the Open, join the #morningchalkup hashtag.
- Nominate a friend or coach for the Chalk Up Community Choice Awards.
How to stay up to date: Follow us on social media.