What You Need to Know Going Into Day Three
It’s day three of the CrossFit Games. Individual athletes are on break, age group and adaptive divisions are in the home stretch and teams take the field for the first time.
While athletes are tackling the unknown and knowable, fans sleeping in the campgrounds got an equally unforeseen turn of events yesterday evening as they were told to evacuate by 10:00 PM due to 70 mile per hour winds forecasted throughout the evening. The Morning Chalk Up crew slept in the Coliseum with a hundred other friends in the first-ever CrossFit Games slumber party.
So if there are a few extra typos today you can call customer support at Grammarly and complain.
One big thing: After today, 20 divisions will have wrapped up between the age-group and adaptive athletes, and only three divisions remain. Individual men, women and teams will finish out the 2021 NOBULL CrossFit Games.
The weather is forecasted to be a high of 85F (29C) and a low of 59F (15C) in Madison, WI.
- Follow our live blog to stay up to date with what’s going on around the arena.
- Here’s how to follow all the individual athletes through their social media accounts.
- Last but not least, if you’re in Madison, here are all the activities to get involved inside and outside the arena.
Leaderboard, End of Day One
- Brent Fikowski (322)| Tia-Clair Toomey (397)
- Justin Medeiros (313)|Haley Adams (340)
- Jonne Koski (310) | Kristin Holte (331)
- Bjorgvin Karl Gudmundsson (307) | Kristi Eramo-O’Connell (295)
- Patrick Vellner (288) | Danielle Brandon (286)
- Saxon Panchik (286) | Katrin Davidsdottir (283)
- Andre Houdet (265) | Amanda Barnhart (280)
- Lazar Dukic (256) | Laura Horvath (277)
- Guilherme Malheiros (251) | Brooke Wells (274)
- Samuel Cournoyer (250) | Mallory O’Brien (272)
Speed Reads: A few stories that came out yesterday to get you up to speed.
- Event by event recap from day one of the CrossFit Games.
- Yesterday’s Individual Event 1 began the day with a long swim and a longer kayak. Based on previous swim events, we had an idea of who’d fare well in the swimming portion but the big question was, who would be strong at the kayak? Analyst Brian Friend broke down where the top ten men and women finished at the end of the swim and where big shake-ups happened after the kayak.
- It was a rough start for fan-favorite Patrick Vellner, but that didn’t last very long. After taking 35th in Event 1, he was able to make an incredible comeback and finish 7th overall for the day.
- The teens keep proving they deserve to be here. Emmy Cary and Mallory O’Brien should put any question whether they belong on the field to rest, after an impressive day one for both these young ladies. The leaderboard shook out with Cary sitting in 14th and O’Brien in 10th. The most impressive moment though, O’Brien took home a first-place finish in the final event of the day.
- Kari Pearce tests positive for COVID-19. Prior to the kick-off of Event 1 for individual athletes, Pearce announced she would no longer be competing in the CrossFit Games after testing positive for the virus. This comes just two days after her training partner, Bethany Shadburne and Masters athlete Dan Bailey also tested positive for COVID and withdrew from the competition.
- Buttery Bro Limited edition Jorts: The Buttery Bros teamed up with Born Primitive and are showing off their quad gainz with a limited edition of jorts. What’s on them? You guessed it — pancakes, butter and some fun phrases. They don’t drop until mid-September but expect these to be a hot commodity once they hit the market.
Four videos worth watching:
- Scott Panchik reflects on his last CrossFit Games. Earlier this week, nine-time Games veteran Scott Panchik announced he would be retiring after the competition. “It makes you feel joyful, it makes you appreciate each event. The fans, the judges, the community, the atmosphere…I’m going to soak it up all weekend long.”
- Highlights from Individual Event 1, swimming and kayaking.
- Highlights from individual Event 2, sled-pull, pig flip and muscle-ups.
- 2021 NOBULL CrossFit Games day 2 press conference.