Jayson Hopper and Danielle Brandon Win “Texas Trail” as Rogue Day 1 Wraps
The 2022 Rogue Invitational kicked off with a bang, as competitors were bused out to a surprise location after getting on a bus (that apparently got lost for a brief moment) before heading out to a Cypress Mill Ranch for “Trail Run” early in the morning.
Jayson Hopper and Danielle Brandon took top spot. There was no livestream posted for the event at time of publication and the first event took place approximately 37 miles outside of Austin, TX.
Athletes spoke to Morning Chalk Up about the unique experience and how they handled the uncertainty around the event. Brandon said the results are what have thrown her.
- “It feels good. It also feels wrong a little bit. The amount of people surprised I won the trail run is pretty funny.”
Hopper said as they neared the site for the event, the mood changed quickly.
- “The bus was very talkative at first. Then as we got closer and got more dialed in, we put the headphones on and got ready.”
Poland’s Gabriela Migala said the start was chaos but she now has her bearings when it comes to the overall competition.
- “It was just everyone at 3, 2, 1, go — mass start, girls with the guys. It feels really good… it’s always a nervous start but once the first event is done I’m in a flow.”
The details: The workout featured the following:
- 4.2-mile run with a ruck (30lb for men; 20lb for women)
- 1-mile run
- Three sandbags up and over (100lb for the men; 70lb for the women)
- 2-mile run
After event one:
- Jayson Hopper | Danielle Brandon
- Jeffery Adler | Bailey Rogers
- Ricky Garard | Gabi Migala
- Roman Khrennikov | Matilde Garnes
- Justin Medeiros | Emma Lawson
Remind me: The fourth iteration of the Rogue Invitational, which runs October 27-30 at Dell Diamond Stadium in Round Rock, TX, is being programmed by CrossFit Games veteran Josh Bridges and Chris Spealler.
Planning on going? Weekend passes and single-day tickets are still available if you want to catch the action in person in the Lone Star state. And, don’t forget to check out our suggestions for where to eat, drink, play outside, workout and caffeinated.
The Morning Chalk Up team will be providing onsite coverage of the competition including athlete interviews, highlights, photos and daily recaps on YouTube channel and Instagram page.
Get the Newsletter
For a daily digest of all things CrossFit. Community, Competitions, Athletes, Tips, Recipes, Deals and more.
"*" indicates required fields