Team Shut Up & Row Set to Row Atlantic Ocean for The Big Fish Foundation
Starting in December, Brian Nicholson, James Hein, Brian Chontosh, and Chriss Smith will take on a significant challenge. They will row across the Atlantic Ocean while raising awareness and financial support for The Big Fish Foundation, Tosh’s non-profit dedicated to making an impact on Veteran suicide.
Remind me: The Talisker Whisky Atlantic Challenge will begin in December. Numerous teams will start their 3,000-mile journey at San Sebastian in La Gomera, Canary Islands. They will then row to Nelson’s Dockyard English Harbour, Antigua and Barbuda.
- There are multiple categories for this grueling event – ranging from solo to five-person teams. Team Shut Up & Row will be in the four-person category.
- There are only two teams from the United States in the four-person category – Team Shut Up & Row and Fight Oar Die, which also features Veterans raising awareness for Veteran Suicide and Veteran PTSD.
Team Shut Up & Row has multiple goals. Finishing the grueling event while raising funds and awareness for The Big Fish Foundation is at the top of the list. There is also another that would make history. If the four-man team maintains its desired pace, it will have the opportunity to become the first all-American team to take a spot on the podium.
Get involved: The four-man team will raise awareness and funds during the 3,000-mile journey across the Atlantic Ocean. Community members can show their own support by taking part in a three-day fundraising event.
- Created in partnership with Wodify, the event will take place November 11-13. Community members can get on their own rowers every day, put in some time, and log it in the app.
- The goal is to see how many times they can virtually row across the Atlantic Ocean. Team Shut Up & Row hopes to have 1,500 people row 1,500 meters each day for three days.
A show of support: Team Shut Up & Row will set out to raise money for The Big Fish Foundation during the event. They will also have support from some key companies. The list includes corporate sponsors in XIT Ranch, Rogue Fitness, and Black Rifle Coffee Company.
- Xendurance, Concept2, ThruDark Outerwear, AIM7, Resilient Nutrition, Marlin & Barrell Distillery, rower Angus Collins, D-DEY Response Group, Omegawave, and rower Gus Barton will all provide additional support.
Team Shut Up & Row has been preparing for the Talisker Whiskey Atlantic Challenge since 2020. The members have spent time on the water working with Jonathan Burns, a former collegiate rower and member of Team USA. They also headed into the woods and spent 24 hours cutting down, limbing, and rounding a massive Douglas Fir and six pine trees.
- The work continued throughout 2021 and 2022 as the grueling race approached. One step was undergoing a metabolic efficiency test while spending time on a Concept2 Rower.
Another important task was completing the mandatory coursework for the Talisker Whisky Atlantic Challenge. There were five classes, including the all-important medical training that covered CPR, burns, tourniquets, packing punctures, stapling lacerations, identifying shock, and advanced nostril clearing.