2023 CrossFit Games Season Dates Announced
The final stage of the 2022 CrossFit Games season is upon us, but we now know the date of the 2023 Open.
Mark your calendars: The CrossFit Open begins on February 16, 2023.
- For those keeping track, that’s 199 days from the date of this publication.
- In addition, CrossFit announced that the 2023 Games will begin on July 31, 2023.
One big thing: CrossFit has made an effort to announce the dates of the season early in recent years to give athletes, the Games team and the affiliate community plenty of time to prepare. Last year the Open dates were announced in late-July, on a very similar timeline to this year.
- In 2022, nearly 300,000 athletes registered for the Open, just over an 11% increase from 2021.
- 263,529 athletes registered for the Open in 2021, a 10% increase from the previous year which marked the low point in registration after two seasons of decreased participation.
- Prior to the two-year decrease, the Open saw a steady increase in participation every year since the inception of the Open in 2011.
- The 2018 season was the high-water mark for participation at 429,157 athletes registered.
The big picture: By announcing the dates seven months in advance, they’re giving the CrossFit Games team as much lead time as possible to promote the Open and increase participation. They’re also giving affiliates and athletes firm dates to schedule around, something they’ve been asking for for years.