The 10th installment of the CrossFit Open kicked off worldwide last night with four simultaneous live Open announcements on four continents. Turns out our bold prediction that the 10th anniversary would be five weeks of all repeats was wrong.
10 rounds for time of:
8 ground-to-overheads, 95 lb.
10 bar-facing burpees
Time cap: 15 minutes
You can (relatively) safely use the movement tracker to remove these movements from future workouts over the next several weeks.
One big thing: The rumored announcement that Scott Panchik would be joining CrossFit Mayhem was finally confirmed almost a month after we first predicted it.
- Margaux Alvarez on the new pick-up: “I’m changing Scott’s name from Panchik to ‘Paycheck.’ By bringing in Scott they have years of experience, consistency at the top … I think it’s going to be really hard for any other team to come in and beat them.”
- As Morning Chalk Up’s Brittney Kleyn pointed out in her analysis of the move, this will make Team Mayhem nearly unbeatable. “Panchik’s experience only adds to the difficulty in pulling together a team that would pose any serious threat to Mayhem in 2020. In 2019, they earned 91% of the points on offer in the team competition [and] secured the biggest winning margin in history at 198 points.”
Livestreams. The livestreams were a significant improvement from last year’s live announcements less than eight months ago in terms of sound quality, camera angles and production.
- Most included time clocks.
- Two included the workout description on screen for spectators.
- Brazil CrossFit Championship was the only live announcement that also included live scoring.
Concurrent viewers by the numbers: We recorded the numbers from each YouTube livestream to get the approximate maximum concurrent viewers. Note this doesn’t reflect the total views but only approximate concurrent viewers.
- Rogue – 78,000
- Brazil CrossFit Championship – 5,200
- Reebok Korea – 950
- CrossFit French Throwdown – 540
Get The Newsletter
For a daily Digest of all things CrossFit. Community, Athletes, Tips, Recipes, Deals and more.